One of my favourite bands at the moment is Florida-based duo “Priest“, whose album I previously wrote about here. I have recently had the awesome pleasure of being able to interview Madeline from “Priest” about herself, what inspires her and some of her interests.
Check out the interview below.
- Please tell us about yourself in as many or as little words as you like.
- I’m a Florida Native. I grew up a dancer and have always been involved in music as well. In my free time I like to be outside with my dog, preferably near water, and read books by Carl Hiaasen or Michael Crichton.
- Growing up, who were your heroes in music?
- My earliest memories are of Spice Girls, Sade, Madonna, Queen, and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera soundtrack. I was a dancer growing up so I was exposed to a bit of everything over the years. Debbie Harry, Gwen Stefani, Kate Bush strong female artists have always inspired me.
- Growing up, who were your heroes outside of music?
- Pippi Longstocking and Han Solo.
- What was the first album you remember buying?
- In all honesty, it may have been Backstreet Boys Millennium. Got the poster and everything. I still have both haha.
- Was there any defining moment in your life when you knew that you wanted to write, record and perform music?
- I don’t really think I had a defining moment- singing and dancing were part of my life for as long as I can remember. My mom tells me I was singing before I spoke real sentences. I took dance my whole life, and music is such a huge part of that. One of my best friends and I would make shitty recordings on my old laptop. I was in a band with friends in high school. So when Dave approached me for this project I was pretty excited.
- Who is your biggest influence in how you approach what you do today?
- It’s kind of hard to pinpoint. I’ve had a lot of great people guide me over the years, from voice teachers to Dave and his wife Liz.
- What is the proudest moment of your career so far?
- Releasing our full length record Priest last May.
- What is your favourite Book?
- The Hobbit.
- What is your favourite Album?
- That’s a tough one, it changes a lot. But Dark Side of the Moon would definitely be one. And my comfort album is Highway Companion by Tom Petty.
- What is your favourite Film?
- Star Wars.
- What is your favourite TV Show?
- So many! Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia , to name a few.
- Do you have a favourite film/tv/musical soundtrack?
- I love the Pulp Fiction Soundtrack.
- Are there any new albums you are binge listening to at the moment?
- Not super new but I still am super into CHVRCHES’ Every Open Eye, Art Angels by Grimes, and Big Grams.
- You’re walking somewhere and your mp3 player has only a little battery left; You’ve only got time for one more song. What song do you play?
- Bitch Better Have My Money by Rihanna. lol.
- What advice would you give to your younger self?
- Don’t try to grow up so fast. Take it easy. Invest your time and talents in people who value you. Work for what you want.
- If you could ask any person – living or passed – any question, who would it be and what would you ask them?
- I think I’d want to ask my Grandma, who died before I was born, for any life advice. Everyone says she was an awesome lady, and I wish I could have known her.
- Could you tell us a joke?
- The Republican Presidential candidates. lol.
Thank you, Madeline
A big thank you to Madeline for taking the time to answer those – some really great answers there. Please do check out Priest’s album – check out my review of it if you need convincing. Here are links for buying their first full-length album on Google Play and iTunes.Also on: